Monday, July 13, 2009

And all the things that you never ever told me...

When you find out someone is sick, it's very strange. It's the uncertain feeling, like you're not sure if you should be mad at someone or not. I don't really have anyone to be mad at right now. It isn't anyone's fault. And there isn't anything that anyone can do about it, so all that you can do is pray and try to be there for each other. I found out last night that my grandmother is dying from a very rare brain disease. It isn't something that's easy to deal with, obviously, but it is something that I have to deal with. As a writer, it's an interesting moment to see how people interact, how people come together to support us in this time. People take so much for granted and it's funny how to the story in my head is about someone who takes who he is for granted and then when that's gone, he doesn't know how to deal with it. But I think I'm putting him on hold for a little while.

Right now I want to write a tribute to the woman my grandmother is. She grew up in Brooklyn, worked as a nurse and lived all over the place, including the Philippines. She has always been a constant in my life and not just as my family member. She is an inspiration, involved in everything she can possibly be involved in. Always strong, she was my spiritual guidance, my go to when I wasn't feeling well. I have never known a woman with the strength and perseverance of my grandmother. One day I hope to write someone like her, but for now I can only try to get my feelings for her down on paper.

For those of you who read my blog, and I know you are few at the moment, but I ask for your prayers and to keep my family and myself in your hearts. We will have a trying time ahead of us and I know we will all need the support of good friends and kind people. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment