Monday, January 18, 2010

01.18.10 - An examination of emotion

As a writer, I try to convey certain emotions to my readers. As a reader, I've read things that made me laugh, made me cry. Hell, I've even read books that have made me so upset and heartbroken that I've thrown things (*coughHarryPotter5*). But what is it about those writers, those emotions that get to the readers?

Personally, I think it's a combination of both the characters and the words. In regards to the characters themselves, it isn't the easiest thing to create a character who is lovable, likable, and who readers can connect with. As of yet, I'm not sure I've done that. Do my characters offer readers a person they can can relate to, who they care about? The way I related Sirius Black.

Also, it has to do with the actual words the writer uses. It's one thing to say someone is dead and it is entirely different to convey the environment and emotions regarding said death enough to make a reader cry. Or even to throw their books. Which I actually admit to when finding out that my favorite character was dead. I was really heartbroken.

In the end, I have to find that balance. It isn't the easiest thing, but I will do my best. Here's hoping I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment